Friday, December 31, 2010

I Met My Goal! Book #30 of 2010


My 30th book of the year was "On Cats" by Doris Lessing, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2007. I received this book as a gift from my wonderful Twitter friend, @kayakgal, as I have many other books. She picks out the most amazing books for me to read and I am ever so grateful to her for opening me up to books I would never read otherwise. I think it is quite appropriate that I round out my reading goal for 2010 with a book she sent me.

It is quite clear from this year's reading list that I am an animal lover. Upon seeing a book titled simply "On Cats" I knew I would love it. As it turned out, I was right, but some people would be surprised at my adoration of this work when they read some of the less "fuzzy" feelings toward cats that are described. There are many cat deaths at the hands of humans, including the author herself. It should be noted that many of these instances were in times much different than the one we are in now, not to mention a vastly different land.

It is not a warm, cuddly kitty cat story like that of Dewey. It does show the author's true affection for the many different cats in her life and she describes each of them perfectly, painting a picture that is clear and colorful with her words. It is a true piece of art in written form.

I am now intrigued by this author and can't wait to look into more of her work, which spans from 1949 to her final book in 2007. I encourage you to read this book and keep an open mind. Don't be turned away because of what you might see as mistreatment, you would miss out on something amazing if you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment