Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book #6: Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen


Rhoda Janzen's memoir Mennonite in a Little Black Dress sounded very promising. What's not to like about a book that starts out when the author's marriage ends because her husband leaves her for a guy named Bob he met on Gay.com?

Ms. Janzen tries to take a humorous look at her life, one in which she was raised Mennonite, left the religion, and still appreciated how much that lifestyle shaped her. Unfortunately, I felt like she was trying too hard to be funny and most of the time it just fell flat. Not to mention the uncountable number of times she mentions her husband leaving her for a guy named Bob he met on Gay.com.

I liked the glimpse into the Mennonite life, one that is different from the religion I had imagined. In fact, Ms. Janzen included an appendix that answered some common questions about the Mennonite life. Here again, she just tried too hard to be funny, but it wasn't.

I'm not one to give up on a book, but I seriously considered it with this one. There were 3 chapters toward the end of the book that I enjoyed, but the rest of the book bored me, frankly.

No comments:

Post a Comment